Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Inlaid Card Technique Using Memory Box Dies




With the New Year comes new resolutions. But since that word never really worked for me in the past, I am going to change it to "goals". So one of my goals for 2015 is to send some   of the cards I make to people!!  I mean put them in an envelope, address the envelope, put stamps on it, and put it in the mail. You would think, with all the cards I make that would just happen automatically.  But it doesn't and I really don't know why.  I know, I am bad!!  

To get me moving in the right direction, I am finally making a few birthday cards using the "Inlaid" technique I have seen done over the past year.  I really think this was the biggest trend of 2014  and I have wanted to give it a try.  And, since I am making a few for myself, I thought I would turn it into a step by step for those people that want to see how it's done.  

As you can see from the photo at the top, using this die allowed me to make 7 cards at once!  

Step by Step:

Cut 6, 7, 8 or more pieces of different colored cardstock to 4 1/8" x 5 3/8".  Center the die on each piece and cut using your die cut machine. 


Pop out all of the letters and words using either the Die Pick by Tim Holtz or the Tool N' One by Spellbinders.  Both will help immensely!!  Trust me!

Then glue each of the pieces of cardstock to a card front.   I used Mono Multi glue on some of them and my Xyron machine on the others.  


For some of my cards I glued the colored cardstock to a white card base and for others I used a colored card base.


From here all you need to do is glue the different colored words and letters into each of the card fronts. It's like doing a puzzle.  Because of the layered cardstock to the card front, there is a gap and the words and letters will just slip into each section.  I used several different glues but found that the Zig 2 Way Glue with the Fine Ball Point or the Quickie Glue by Sakura work the best!!  

As you can see below, I first glue the script birthday into the card fronts.  Then I glued the large HAPPY.



Continue until the whole card front has been filled in with all the different colored letters and words. Remove any adhesive residue with the Adhesive Eraser by Xyron.  This is probably the best tool ever invented.  Click "HERE" to watch a video by Kristina Werner showing how to remove the adhesive and why you need this in your stash of tools.  

Below is one of the finished cards with all the words and letters "inlaid" in the different sections.  I even glued a crystal for the dot over the "i" in the script birthday.


I hope you enjoyed this "Inlaid Technique". I am sure that you will look at your dies in a different light now. There are so many dies on the market with which you can use this technique.  

Hugs from Brasil - 
~Michael

Supplies Used:
Happy Birthday Background (990) by Poppy Stamps
Die Cut Machine (Big Shot, Big Kick, Cuttlebug)
Cardstock in various colors and/or textures
Tool N' One by Spellbinders  or Die Pick by Tim Holtz
Glues - Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue, Zig 2 Way Glue with the Fine Tip, Quickie Glue Pen by Sakura - all work well
Adhesive Eraser by Xyron

1 comment:

  1. Love all the cards! Great tutorial! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Technique Junkies April 2024 New Stamp Release | Adulting Is Overrated

Welcome to the April 2024 New Stamp Release with Technique Junkies .  This month there are 13 new stamps - something for everyone - and the...