Tuesday, June 24, 2014

StenDoodle A World Cup Card



Last week I got a message from my friend, Jen del Muro - the brains behind, and owner of Reverse Confetti.  (Psst, it's an amazing rubber stamp/die company - check it out!). Anyway, she told me that her kids (Nic and Ellie) were going crazy over the World Cup and asked if I would be able to pick up a few things for them.  Duh!  Of course I can.  

So I went shopping.  Was able to find some t-shirts, stickers, bandannas, and water bottles, and packaged them all up in a box. But then I thought, "they need StenDoodled World Cup Soccer Cards"!!  So I made two - Nic's is on the left at top and Ellie's is on the right.  

And now you can make some too if you want - easy and fast!!

Step by Step for Ellie's Card:
(For Nic's card, scroll down)

Step 1.  Download and print the soccer ball. I use Picasa and I printed two at 5"x 7" on an 8.5" x 11" piece of cardstock.  You may need to use the "Shrink To Fit" button.


Step 2.  Cut your papers.  Your white card base will be 5 3/8" x 10 3/4" and score in the middle at 5 3/8".  Yellow base cardstock is 5 3/8" x 5 3/8", Green is 5 1/4" x 5 1/4", and Blue is 5 1/8" x 5 1/8".  Cut the printout of the soccer balls in half at the 5 1/2" mark.  


Step 3. Adhere the yellow cardstock to the card front.  Then adhere the green cardstock to the yellow, then the blue cardstock to the green.  Did you get that? LOL


Step 4 -  Now to work on the outer white areas of the ball.  Lay the Journal Texture No. 2 stencil in one of the sections and trace the pattern with the Sharpie. Continue around the ball until all of the outer areas have been done.


Step 5 -  Now to work on the inner white areas. Lay the Blades stencil in one of the sections and trace with the Sharpie.  Do the same to all the inner white areas.  Make sure you look at the stencil to get the area and look you want in each section.  


Step 6 -  Now color the ball.  I used Tombow Marker Nos. 025, 055, 133, 725, and 985. After I colored it, I measured the ball (it measures 4 5/8") so I knew I needed to cut about 1/8" around all 4 sides.  Then I adhered it to the blue cardstock.  Adhere a small crystal to the inside of each "flower".  Then apply Firefly Stickles to the green circles in the outside areas and Spiced Marmalade to the inside flowers.  Then outline each of the black areas with Crystal Stickles.  Allow it all to dry! 


Step 7 -  For the phrase, first I did a search on Google for World Cup 2014 logos and downloaded a free one.  Then, in the 2nd soccer ball that I printed, I made a mask by cutting just inside the center black area with an X-Acto knife and ruler - to create a window.


Step 8 -  Print the logo on cardstock, place the ball template over the logo with the window over the phrase, trace and then cut out.  Apply tape or pop dots on the back and adhered to the center of the ball.


Step by Step for Nic's Card:

Steps 1 through 3, above, are the same.

Step 4 - For the outer white areas, trace the Journal Texture No. 2 stencil with the black Sharpie.  


Step 5 - For the inner white areas, trace the Mini Square Clover Leaf stencil with the black Sharpie.  


Steps 6 -   Color the ball.  I used Tombow Marker Nos. 055, 195, 443, and 985. Trim the ball as in Step 6 above and adhere to blue cardstock.  Then apply True Blue Stickles in the outer squares and in some of the smaller ones in the center.  Apply Lime Green Stickles on the thin lines to separate the sections of the ball.  Allow it all to dry! 


Step 7 - Same as above.  Cut phrase using mask and adhere to card front. 


Or - with a different phrase - 


Hope you liked!!  Go Brasil or USA!!!
~Michael


Supplies Used:

Download a free Soccer Ball Printable found on the Internet - or right click and save the image below.  
Tombow Markers - Nos. 025, 055, 133, 195, 476, 725, and 985
Permanent Fine Tip Sharpie
Stickles - Crystal, True Blue, Firefly, Spiced Marmalade, and Lime Green
Cardstock in the colors of Brasil - Yellow, Blue, and Green
White cardstock to print on and for card base
Double sided tape or glue/tape of your choice

StencilGirl Products Stencils Used:



4 comments:

  1. These are AWESOME, Michael!
    Love that you combined your passions for Stendoodling and The World Cup! Brilliant colors and patterns! So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Very clever idea using the downloaded soccer ball image as the base.Love the Stickles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I loved the way you stenciled these. I did a doodle using sports objects for my grandson I have to post it somewhere for you to see. Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these. You are the undisputed king of StenDoodling!

    ReplyDelete

Crafty Elves Countdown to Christmas - March 2023 - Christmas Fishes

  Hello everyone.  Believe it or not but I have yet to make a holiday card this year (not counting this post) and I've missed making the...