Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Stars & Stripes Forever


Hello everyone.  Hope y'all are having a good week so far.  I was not feeling great this past weekend so I chose to chill and catch up on some of my shows. I am feeling better this morning and got the idea for this card after I saw the trailer for the new "Independence Day" movie coming out.  The first movie is one of my favorites and, as much as I know the new movie will probably disappoint, I cannot wait to go see it on Thursday!  To celebrate....I made a card for July 4th!

I am using one of my favorite dies - Woven Ribbons Card Panel by Frantic Stamper.  I have also used it HERE.  To start, I cut a piece of textured red, white, and blue cardstock - just a bit larger than the die.  


Then I applied 2" wide double sided tape to the back of each piece and burnished well with a bone folder.   


Using my die cut machine, I die cut each of the pieces with the Woven Ribbons Card Panel die (use a metal adapter plate for a better cut).  

The red and blue show the front of each piece.
The white shows how the back of the piece will look.

Remove the outside border from the piece of blue cardstock and, working slowing, adhere just the upper corner of the piece to your card front.  You DO NOT want to adhere the whole piece.


Most of the sections of the die have 3 parts so I envisioned them as red, white, and blue. I place the 3 pieces of cardstock above my card front and, starting with the red of one section, I just started to fill in the card front.  It's like a puzzle.  And because we used the double sided tape on the back, all you have to do is remove the tape backing and insert the piece into the correct space.  Then burnish. 


Then I moved to the next section.  As I fill in each section, I move the border so that it is perfectly aligned with each piece.  This is why I do not adhere the whole border at once - you have no wiggle room.



The card front completely filled in.  

Once I had the whole card front filled in, I grabbed my Heidi Swapp Confetti Stencil, placed the stars where I wanted them and applied some Glossy White Embossing Paste with a palette knife.   


I removed the stencil (clean the stencil and knife immediately) - and felt there was too much white.


So I covered the stars some silver fine glitter.  


Once it all dried, most of the glitter came off but I liked the simple shimmer to the stars. Last thing I did was to stamp the phrase from the Stars & Stripes Forever set by Unity Stamp Co. on to white cardstock and die cut it using the X Stitched Oval Dies by Gina Marie.  I put 2 pop dots behind the oval and adhered it to the card front.  


I hope you enjoyed this card.  Please let me know by leaving a comment below.  Until next time - 

Hugs from Brasil -
Michael

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jen. And thanks for stopping by the blog today!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic card...love it and the technique!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois. I love this die. So many uses for it. Thanks for stopping by the blog today!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous card and thanks for the pictures and explanation to putting it together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather. Glad you liked and that you stopped by the blog today.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joanie. And thanks for stopping by the blog today.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This is a lot of work and precision. I know I would just mangle the black piece and make it wonky. This looks great and so rich looking. Great work and hope you are feeling bette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Birgit. This looks like a lot of work but it actually works very quickly. You just need patience. LOL. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  6. That card is perfection! Thanks for sharing the details on how you put it together. I learned a new technique. Glad you are feeling better. Sometimes we just have to stop and chill like you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! Glad you liked the card. I have this strange obsession with details. LOL. Thanks for stopping by the blog.

      Delete
  7. Love your card for 4th of July!! So unique and thanks for the tips on how to do it. Thanks for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks HJ. Glad you liked the card. And thanks for stopping by the blog!

      Delete

Crafty Elves Countdown to Christmas - March 2023 - Christmas Fishes

  Hello everyone.  Believe it or not but I have yet to make a holiday card this year (not counting this post) and I've missed making the...